Omnichannel retail is on the rise. According to research from Statistica and Shopify respectively, it’s estimated that 3 in 4 consumers shop online at least once a month, with 63% of all shopping journeys starting online, whether or not the consumer ends up making their purchase online or in store.
The pandemic changed shopping behaviors and consumers now crave omnichannel experiences. In addition to the most important sales channels for Ecommerce businesses, omnichannel retail bridges both online and in store experiences, providing an enhanced user experience by engaging customers across multiple channels throughout their shopping journey.
A survey by Stefanini has found that one third (33%) of retailers cited omnichannel shopping as the greatest challenge they have faced when preparing for the holiday season. This was tied with inventory management (also 33%), loyalty campaigns (22%) and in-store analytics (11%). Interestingly, when compared to a similar poll in 2021, it is evident that retailers’ priorities have shifted – from creating the infrastructure required to deliver their service offering to now focusing on the customer experience.
Omnichannel Retail is Evolving
Today’s consumer expects more than value and convenience. They expect a flawless experience with low or no wait times, and have little tolerance for ineffective or faulty online/in-store experiences.
Omnichannel retail has therefore evolved to meet these changing behaviors and expectations. They may include:
- Ordering online for in-store pick up
- App notifications when orders are ready
- Store product availability searchable online
- Digital coupons and loyalty programs redeemable in-store
- Scannable gift cards to digital wallets
- Omnichannel customer support
To remain competitive, today’s retailers need to develop an omnichannel retail strategy across the sales funnel – from building awareness and reputation, to getting to know and nurturing shoppers throughout their journey.
How Retailers Can Maximize their Omnichannel Shopping Strategy
- Research and develop journey maps to understand your customer on a micro and macro level
- Create incredible user journeys across each stage of the sales funnel
- Leverage data to enable decision-making and solve customers’ greatest challenges and needs
- Streamline and automate processes whenever possible
- Use chatbots and virtual assistants to enable your customers to interact directly with your products and brand
- Align your brand and product(s) across social media and mobile platforms
- Leverage AI to create custom solutions for your customers
Customer Experience for the Digital Era
Stefanini co-creates digital retail solutions designed specifically for retailers’ unique business objectives. By leveraging technology, we help businesses create value quickly and efficiently, helping you stay at the forefront of digital disruption. Speak with our experts today to find out more.